Ever since we started experimenting with an RTI Dome, I developed the idea of improving the control unit of the dome. With our second dome on the way, we are experimenting with some changes to the original software to improve the unit.
Together with Jan Wieners (@docfnord on twitter) I teach a course on Video- & Computergames and Archaeology this semester. This may develop into a series on content and thoughts regarding this course. Pt 1: What are we aiming at? (more…)
In my class “3D modelling and reconstruction in Archaeology”, my students created a Virtual Reality experience, from the initial research to the final portation to a game engine. Besides some advice, the students did archieve the end result all by themselves.
For a long time, I did not post anything about the progress of the visualisation project in Cologne-Weiden. Now, we are actually almost finished and I will try to recap some of the steps we were going through. Today’s post topic are the Structure from Motion models of the busts in Cologne-Weiden.
On the 12th to the 13th of October 2018, we will host a symposium at our institute. The symposium (that means there will be wine!) is called “Communicating the Past in the Digital Age – Digital methods for teaching and learning in Archaeology” and the actual Call for Papers is out!
In a new project of the Archaeological Insitute of the University of Cologne, we document, reconstruct and gameify a famous burial chamber, that is otherwise difficult to access. The results of this project should be presented at the next AIAC in Cologne/Bonn.
One of my first projects in Archaeoinformatics is the Kölner Dome Project, where I want to develop a RTI Dome based on a very basic prototype, that we build after instructions from the internet. The first part of this project wants to create a new user-friendly and adaptable controlling unit. In this article I write about the first step towards that goal.