Together with Florian Thiery I gave a talk on a side project by the Research Squirrel Engineers, a working group of Research Software Engineers. Our aim in this project is to digitize a catalogue on Ogham stones and put it online in a linked and open way. At the Graph Technologies in the Humanities conference we were invited to present our work. Here is a short version.
Ever since we started experimenting with an RTI Dome, I developed the idea of improving the control unit of the dome. With our second dome on the way, we are experimenting with some changes to the original software to improve the unit.
Here I continue to describe and elaborate on our discussion about Concepts of the Past in Computer and Video Games, which Jan Wieners and I organised for our class in archaeogaming. Let’s discuss now: Are games great knowledge communicators?
We did a conference!
It was really engaging and here is a wrap up of what I learned.
For a long time, I did not post anything about the progress of the visualisation project in Cologne-Weiden. Now, we are actually almost finished and I will try to recap some of the steps we were going through. Today’s post topic are the Structure from Motion models of the busts in Cologne-Weiden.
We completed the second (and last) session of the Structure from Motion documentation of objects from the Egyptology Department of the University of Cologne. The digital Egyptology collection now comprises of seven objects.
In a new project of the Archaeological Insitute of the University of Cologne, we document, reconstruct and gameify a famous burial chamber, that is otherwise difficult to access. The results of this project should be presented at the next AIAC in Cologne/Bonn.
The first Structure from Motion session in the Egyptology Department was a full success and all four objects are online right now. They are composed of a mummy mask and three figurines.
One of my first projects in Archaeoinformatics is the Kölner Dome Project, where I want to develop a RTI Dome based on a very basic prototype, that we build after instructions from the internet. The first part of this project wants to create a new user-friendly and adaptable controlling unit. In this article I write about the first step towards that goal.
A couple weeks ago, I was visiting the department of Egyptology for a photo session of some of their finds in their collection. I took a couple pictures from different objects and am converting them now step-by-step into 3D models. Today, I can present the first result of that work.